Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day One Hundred Ninety Three

People remember most of what they do, some of what they say, but little of what they see or hear.  It's therefore important to do things.


This is a line from the book Early Retirement Extreme: A philosophical and practical guide to financial independence by Jacob Lund Fisker  I had never seen this feature before but you can read the first chapter of different books published for the Kindle and I came across a link to this one:  Read the First Chapter Here


I have not run out and bought the book; I'm going to turn 50 in a couple of weeks and have had a plan for what I consider to be early retirement for a while. (What can I say?  I didn't think of it until recently!) However, I may make it a Christmas gift to my kids in the hopes they can glean from it useful information about designing a life for rich living.  For them the concept of early retirement (Fisker contends five years of hard work can get you there) is meaningful.  When we have discussions at home about what I hope for them I always say the same thing; I tell them that if they end up in a Monday through Friday job doing anything other than something they really love that I'll be a little disappointed.  I encourage them to find something they're passionate about and become ridiculously good at it and to avoid regular "jobs" at all costs.  It will be interesting to see if any of them take it to heart.  For me, the sentence at the top of this page is a huge one and I'm personally submitting it to my own quote challenge for my consideration!


Today's five items are:
1.  Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card
2.  Isaac Asimov's Solar System
3.  The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
4.  A cape like thing I bought a while back when I thought long flowing things were just the thing for me!
5.  Another pair of jeans


Quote Challenge 
Don Vardo Plans
Gypsy Tour Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive