Thursday, September 9, 2010

Quote Challenge

Quote Challenge

In my gypsy wagon there will be a number of exposed beams.  How many?  Well, that is a fair question but it depends ultimately on the size I go with.  Right now I'm leaning heavily on 16' interior space in the trailer, 5' tongue and 30" porch.  If I go smaller than 16' then there is an amount of wasted materials when using standard 8' lengths that feels also like wasted potential to me.  If I go longer than 16' and build myself a real Taj Majal then there is the same problem and the whole thing gets really heavy.  My favorite number is 17 so I was tempted to go with that just to be a smart alec but in the end I'm too practical so 16' will probably be the winner.  This means I'll have quite a few exposed beams and I've decided that I want each one to have a quote painted on it.  So I'm open to suggestions.  I can tell you I already have two chosen which means I need six or seven more - depending on whether or not I put one on the porch beam.  Here is what the beams look like to help you:

See them all lined up beautifully?


And a close-up.  Isn't the detailing she did gorgeous?  
I'm not using as much wood on the interior but like this a lot.
These are both pictures from Don Vardo, the wagon in the building plans I bought.

I feel extremely fortunate and well loved to be having mine made for me by a dear friend.  His help in this process has been invaluable and I'll treasure his contributions forever.  I hope he submits a good quote!  My ceiling will not be wood paneled.  I'm going to have a smooth ceiling and have it painted like the Nevada sky.  I have to take something from home with me, right?  So the quotes will span the arches.  I'm looking for great quotes that acknowledge the spirit of my journey and vagabond ways in some aspect.  If something about life after 50 is really good it could make the cut but nothing cheesy.  Bottom line, I'll know 'em when I read 'em.  I'll think of some way to thank everyone who submits a quote that I use.  I can't build you a gypsy wagon or anything but I'll think of something for sure.

Here are the two I know I want for sure, they're more about life in general.  

1.  "Listen--are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?" ~ Mary Oliver
2.  "Let everything happen:  beauty and terror.  Just keep going.  No feeling is final."  ~ Rilke

For all of you who are comment posting challenged and like to email me or post on Facebook instead I think I will keep this post separate (not a numbered post but a "bonus" post that can easily be found in the index) and I'll move all quotes submitted to me from all avenues here as comments for all to see.

Have fun and thank you!



                                          

30 comments:

  1. Not all who wander are lost. ~Tolkein

    from Gary Casebeer

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are grateful--when you can see what you have--you unlock blessings to flow in your life.-Suze Orman

    “Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.”- Audrey Hepburn

    “I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”
    -- Robert Fulghum

    I feel pretty
    Oh so pretty
    I feel pretty and witty and gay
    And I pity
    Any girl who isn't me today- west side story

    From Alexis Sellars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quotes!! I love this challenge!

    ******
    You were born for this wildness; and you have the instruments to navigate it safely. -Martha Beck

    I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. - Louisa May Alcott

    There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm. -Willa Cather

    Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth. -Pema Chödrön

    God loves to feel things through our hands.
    -Elizabeth Gilbert

    Laugh as much as you can. By this all the rigid knots in your body will be loosened.
    -Anandamayi Ma

    You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself. -Buddha

    When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky. -Buddha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The above was from Luann : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pivoting

    Some days you and I go mad,
    Our bellies get stuffed full,
    Hearts break, minds snap.
    We can't go on the old way so
    We change. Our lives pivot,
    Forming a mysterious geometry...

    We mark our progress not by the distance covered
    but by the lines and angles that are formed.

    Deng Ming-Dao, 365 Tao Meditations

    This is the short form. Long form coming by e-mail.

    Kathy

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wherever you go
    there
    you
    are

    From
    MUD Gypsy Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are my favorite Anais Nin quotes. I keep them with me wherever I go.
    Jen

    "Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."

    "Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living."

    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth." Rumi

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. - John Lennon

    From Scott

    ReplyDelete
  10. The universe will unfold as it should.

    From Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wherever you go, there you are.

    From Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is what it is.

    From Lorrene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing is all that it is cracked up to be.


    From Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Live, love, laugh.

    From Wes

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much wisdom, so little wood.

    From Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. ‎"The wise man does not lay up treasures. The
    more he gives the more he has." - Chinese Proverb

    From KLEW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take or breath away...

    From Kate C.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We're all bozos on [the] bus. Firesign Theater

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, we can't forget the Bozos on the bus. Love it. Makes me want to throw my favorite bumper sticker in as well; What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

    ReplyDelete
  20. "The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." ~Nelson Henderson

    From Luann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide. ~Napoleon Bonaparte

    Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

    Freedom is the oxygen of the soul. ~Moshe Dayan

    We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it. ~William Faulkner

    Every man dies. Not every man really lives. (I’d change it to woman of course)
    William Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  22. ‎"It is not death or dying that is tragic, but rather to have existed without fully participating in life- that is the deepest personal tragedy.".... Edward Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Whether the world began with a Big Bang, an act of special creation, or always existed, has nothing of importance to do with the way we treat one another, our fellow creatures and this sweet planet earth." -- Edward Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  24. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
    --St. Augustine

    I love the nights I can't remember with the friends I can't forget.
    --Anonymous

    And my favorite--
    I'm not dead yet! --Spamalot

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for."

    Maureen Dowd
    Newspaper Columnist


    submitted by Misty

    ReplyDelete
  26. Be content with what you have; Rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, The whole world belongs to you.~Lao Tze~

    Everything changed the day she figured out there was exactly enough time for the important things in her life.
    ~Brian Andreas~

    ReplyDelete
  27. "You will never find time for anything. If you want the time, you must make it." - Charles Buxton

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Land is one's flesh and blood." - Pearl S. Buck

    ReplyDelete
  29. "No one who is young is ever going to be old." - John Steinbeck

    "Timshel" - John Steinbeck

    ReplyDelete
  30. On a different note

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive