Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day One Hundred Sixty Five

I hate election days.  For much the same reason I hate horror movies.  I don't like the feelings of anxiety and suspense.  My mother used to read the first few pages of a book and then read the last few pages before deciding if she would commit to it or not.  For years I never understood that.  I can remember many a discussion with her about a book or a movie and she'd ask me to reveal how it turned out and I would steadfastly refuse.  In my mind I was doing her a favor, saving the outcome was a gift so she could enjoy it.  Now as I sit here waiting for results I'd give anything to just know the outcome so I could relax.


This sorting and clearing and purging is getting to be quite an addiction.  I can't remember the last time I sat down to take a break without a pile of something or a bag of something or a bin of something to go through.  I have this new technique I've developed.  As I mentioned before, I started with wandering around picking out items to get rid of and graduated to pulling the contents of drawers and closets completely out, looking for the hidden treasures of blog items.  As I do that, there are invariably things that need some consideration, some time to go through so I can carefully examine and decide.  In the old days I'd sit down on the floor, turn up the music and do that in the middle of the project and sometimes not get back to finishing for weeks or months.  Now I have learned to take all those items that need further investigation and time and set them aside.  Those are the things I go through while I watch a movie or listen to music.  Tonight I'm grateful for having them as a distraction.  And as much as I hate election days, I love elections.  I love my country.








These are my five for tonight:
1.  The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford
2.  Suffer in Silence by David Reid
3.  The New Technology of Achievement Steve Andreas and Charles Faulkner
4.  In the Name of Identity by Amin Maalouf
5.  The Plum in the Golden Vase translated by David Tod Roy


Quote Challenge 
Don Vardo Plans
Gypsy Tour Map


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive