Monday, October 11, 2010

Day One Hundred Forty Five

Today I saw a great aunt who is 89 years old.  I haven't seen her in 35 years.  She is my maternal grandmother's sister.  Her oldest sister had her 102nd birthday in August.  I have told my children to be prepared for me to be very old someday.  Since I was a little girl I've always seen myself as a very old woman.  If that really comes to pass I trust in the good genes to enable me to be well and active.  As I approach 50 I truly see a new beginning - I sometimes marvel at how much life I have yet to live and wonder what it will bring.


While wandering around Jerome I came upon a little shop with an odd assortment of items.  There were touristy little sayings on coasters like "I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message!".  There were little pretties to hang in windows and postcards. It wasn't one of those high end art shops with $1700 kaleidoscopes, just a little unassuming place with a lot of things in glass cases.  I turned one corner and found a trunk filled with ziploc bags with textiles in it.  I looked through a few and then found the most beautiful little piece of hand tatted lace you'd ever hope to see.  I'll post a picture of it as soon as I'm connected with my technology.  I took it out of the bag and stretched it out...yes, it is long enough to be a valance or curtain on a window in my gypsy wagon!  I put it to my nose and smelled it.  I could tell it had been stored in someone's cedar chest for years.  I've smelled that wonderful smell many, many times.  I used to love to open my mother's cedar chest on those rare occasions when she went looking for something.  I'd fondly touch the baby shoes and the book I made in the second grade.  I'd pull out the two braids that were cut off when I got my first haircut in the fourth grade.  The hair was lighter then than what it has morphed into today.  They had the exact same smell as the lovely piece of lace I found today.  I wonder about the woman who sat and spent countless hours making it.  I can see the lace bobbins dangling and imagine how many times she had to put it down, interrupted by the business of being a wife and a mother.  I appreciate this piece of art beyond measure.


Here are today's five items:


1. One standard pillowcase with lovely lace trim
2.  One double sheet with flowers
3.  One standard pillowcase with pink/black/white ribbon trim
4.  One Ikea standard pillowcase
5.  A slipcover for a 30" pillow - red denim


Quote Challenge 
Don Vardo Plans
Gypsy Tour Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive