Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day One Hundred Seventy Two

I think we can all agree that some days are better than others, right?  This was a day of transitions and frustrations and loss.  Today a dear woman passed.  She was my children's great grandmother and she will be missed.  I have so many happy memories of times shared with her.  She used to bake cookies at Christmas to a degree that I had never seen before or since.  I mean hundreds of dozens of cookies.  Honest.  Think it is a back east thing, don't know anyone out here who even comes close.  She is from a time where neighbors and friends come by to sit a spell on the porch and have a cup of coffee or a shot and a beer, some cookies and conversation.  A time where a common thread wove the lives of people together in a completely different way than social networks do now.  It was tangible and comforting and so very real.  I suppose it still exists in places although I had never seen it before, coming from a completely different culture and from a family that is both small in size and scattered in geography.  So goodbye, Myrt.  I loved you.  Thanks for all the great cookie recipes, they'll live on for a long time through all the kids and grand kids and great grand kids.  I wish I had paid better attention to the instructions you gave me that involved wooden clothespins and tin foil.  :-)


Tonights five items are:
1.  Sir Gawain and the Green Knight introduction by Brian Stone
2.  The Jungle Book II by Rudyard Kipling
3.  A fabulous pair of lounge pants with a One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish print on them
4.  A pair of shiny nylon basketball shorts
5.  A baseball shirt with dark blue body and light blue sleeves


Quote Challenge 
Don Vardo Plans
Gypsy Tour Map

3 comments:

  1. And the thousands of figurines that populated her house and made using the bathroom akin to walking a tightrope. And at Christmas they were replaced with an equal number of Christmas figurines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remember! Of course. She lived a long life surrounded by people who loved her. Bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should all be so lucky. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive