Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day One Hundred Five

Perspective is a very powerful thing and I have understood that for a long time.   Actually embroidered "Perspective is Everything" on a counted cross stitch piece almost 30 years ago.  I got exposed to the power of perspective when I was about eight years old and it stuck with me.  I have a vascular birth defect in my left leg.  It causes small veins to actually burst and then the blood works its way to the surface of my toes.  When I was young and they hadn't yet properly diagnosed the problem, a doctor called the spots "seed warts".  My grandmother, who I absolutely adored, said she had a cure for warts.  She cut an onion in half and rubbed both halves on the spots.  Then she put the halves together and buried the onion under the eaves of the house and each night after dinner I was required to go walk back and forth over my onion.  The spots eventually work themselves completely out and disappear and when that would happen I was completely convinced that my grandmother possessed some kind of healing magic, making me hold her in awe even more.  It was a matter of perspective, and while to an outsider it might have looked absolutely ridiculous, to me it all seemed plausible so I never protested.  


By the same token, being a broke, homeless person seems completely rational to me at this point in my life while to others it might seem crazy or dangerous or ill-advised.  It is not lost on me that I now live better than the richest kings from a few hundred years ago; I have indoor plumbing with hot and cold water, a vast array of the finest foods available from all over the world available to me locally and at an affordable price, I have electricity, an iron horse that I can travel 80 miles an hour in, medical care, good teeth - I'm wealthy beyond their imagination.  So there doesn't seem to be anything weird to me about taking it all down a notch or two and shucking some of the trappings.  It is simply a matter of perspective.


The following go on the pile today:


1.  Modern Man in Search of a Soul by C.G. Jung
2.  Everyday Grace by Marianne Williamson
3.  Daily Reflections for Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
4.  SuperFoods Rx by Steven Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews
5.  SuperFoods Health Style by Steven Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews


  


Pickup Truck Vardo

I found it here along with a lot of other plans for tiny houses, isn't this adorable!?  At 35sf it is a bit too small for me but I admire it a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Who calls you dangerous or ill-advised must needs deal with me my liege. Crazy however is debatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life was so simple, when the only expenses I had were my vehicle and food. Yep, to me that ride/camper looks like a palace fit for a queen, compared to the honda civic i traveled in. I think your journey is awesome, wonderful, go for it, yay, take a chance! Go Kimbo, go! Shoot if you only go from here to central nevada - the process alone is a massive accomplishment! xo

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive