Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Forty Seven

Sometimes it is hard to believe how many things can happen in one day.  Maybe the number of occurrences are vastly increased when you only sleep for five or six hours a night, I'm not sure.  But today a lot of things happened, some bad, some really really bad, some good and some divine.  How can that be?  It brings to mind a line from my very favorite poem.  The poem is by the German poet Ranier Maria Rilke and my favorite lines are italicized:


God Speaks
God speaks to each of us as he makes us,
then walks with us silently out of the night.

These are the words we dimly hear:

You, sent out beyond your recall,
go to the limits of your longing.

Embody me.

Flare up like flame
and make big shadows I can move in.
Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.

Don't let yourself lose me.

Nearby is the country they call life.
You will know it by its seriousness.

Give me your hand.

My heart goes out with sympathy to friends in need, friends who are ill, kids who are struggling and also in gratitude to friends who are steadfast and true and invaluable; you're worth your weight in gold.

The following got donated today:

1.  A pair of thermal pants for skiing 
2.  A t-shirt with little beads sewn onto the picture - very old lady looking to me now even though I've worn it many times
3.  A purple sweater - just too big and boxy
4.  A black t-shirt - I seem to have 10 different ones
5.  A black purse that looks like a little backpack - this was a big deal because I had to empty it first and I've been avoiding doing that for at least two years.  Ok, turns out it was closer to three years, I found pay stubs from October of 2007.  So the purse was kind of a push me pull me thing as I may have one less purse but from the contents I now have three cds, a Mary Engelbreit address book (empty and I swear I've never seen it before), a whole book of blank checks, eyedrops, three lip glosses, a bottle of Rescue Remedy, a pair of nail clippers, two combs and $2.27 in coins to put away.  Sheesh.                               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive